Monday, April 09, 2012

the things that i will do

In quite a few of my drawings I have used notes, letters, lists and bits of paper, that other people have written on, as subject matter. Sometimes they are the scribblings of strangers but more often than not they are people that I know. I have no idea if anyone else does such things (do you?), but what I've found is that copying somebody else's handwriting is really really difficult. It almost always ends up looking like my own.

In this note, from my niece, I tried to do something different. I copied the writing but did not look at the page I was drawing onto. I looked only at her writing as I blindly copied it onto the paper. Although it's not an exact replica there are moments where I captured it. It was quite a nice little exercise actually. I think I may try more of it. Give it a go!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Your drawings always leave me gobsmacked, you've a great eye for detail.

Unknown said...

that is an interesting idea I must say. Thanks for posting!I would think it is so difficult to try to write like someone! You did a great job on this spread.

bobjodee said...

I love drawing notes, paper, and all those stationery type things! And I agree with you, copying handwriting is tough, but it's fun at the same time, especially for a typography nut like me. I love all your drawings, especially the ones with notes, so much fun to look at!

ChasingtheCrayon said...

Wow, I'm so impressed that you depicted every link in the chain! I love your attention to detail.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thank you guys.

Bobjodee, you and me both. I'm a total typography nut. In fact I think I've just spend about three days looking at nothing but typography online.

Cheers!

afk said...

Well I guess the only time I tried to copy someone's hand writing, was when i had a terrible grade and wanted to write as my dad and sign the grading paper... total fail of course.

I love the details of the owl necklace and the signature pen drawing ;) you keep me inspired!

ElmaBree said...

I have an owl necklace just like that!